Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Something On My Mind




















I first read the work of H.P. Lovecraft in my mid-teens, and the otherworldly influence of his amazing weird fiction has stayed with me ever since. This piece is not based directly on any of Lovecraft's work, but deals with the frequent Lovecraft theme of being invaded from outside. I first read most of Lovecraft's stories in the Ballantine paperback editions which were around in the late '70s, all of which featured cover art by a guy named John Holmes (no, not the one you're thinking of). All the covers in the series featured bizarre full face portraits of mutated Lovecraftian man/monsters, with a heavy aftertaste of serious LSD usage thrown in for added flavor. I guess in a way this is my tribute to those covers and the strange psychological aftereffect they had on me. I've never really had an outlet for straightforward horror art like this, so like most of my work in this vein, this piece is unpublished. So from my nethermost, shadow-plagued tomb-dwelling I beseech you to... Stay tuned for MORE ELDRITCH ACTION!

No comments:

Post a Comment